This classic dessert gets a delicious vegan makeover!
Hands-on Time: 45 min. | Total Time: 75 min. | Serves: 8 | Difficulty: Medium
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 cup ‘aquafaba’, the liquid drained from a can of garbanzo beans
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ⅔ cup vegan sugar (sugar that is ‘bone char’ free)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 3 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- 1 cup espresso or strong brewed coffee
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 4 Tbsp. coffee liquor, such as Kahlua
- 2 Tbsp. rum
- 12.3 oz. container Silken-style tofu, extra firm
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- Pinch salt
- ⅛ tsp. fresh grated nutmeg
- 1½ cups vegan whipped topping
- 1 Tbsp. cocoa powder, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly brush a 13” x 18” with coconut oil and line with parchment paper. In a stand mixer, whip the ‘aquafaba’ with the cream of tartar until stiff peaks begin to form and gradually beat in the sugar. Sift the flour and corn starch together and fold into the ‘aquafaba’ mixture and mix gently until smooth, but careful not to deflate the batter. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Spread the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, until cake is set and slightly browned. Cool cake 10 minutes before removing from pan, and then invert onto a parchment lined cooling rack and cool completely. Peel off the parchment paper on the top and allow cake surface to dry out while it cools.
- Prepare the ‘soak’ by mixing the espresso, maple syrup, rum, and coffee liquor together and set aside. Blend the tofu, honey and remaining 2 teaspoons vanilla extract in a blender or food processor until smooth. Season with a pinch of salt and grated nutmeg. Store in the refrigerator until ready to assemble the dessert.
- Cut the cake with a circle cutter or glass that you are serving it in. Cut 24 cake circles, using scraps if necessary, depending on the size of your serving glass. In 8 ounce ramekin or serving glass, place a cake layer, brush with 1 of the espresso soak. Spread with 1½ tablespoons whipped topping and top with another cake round. Brush that cake round with 1 tablespoon soak, and spread with 1½ tablespoons tofu filing and top with cake. Brush that cake round with 1 tablespoons soak and then top with another 1½ tablespoon whipped topping. Dust the top with cocoa. Repeat these steps to make 8 individual desserts. Top each with a chocolate covered espresso bean if desired.
Per serving: Calories 300, Calories from Fat 50, Total Fat 6g (9% DV), Saturated Fat 3g (15% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 5mg (0% DV), Carbohydrates 50g (17% DV), Dietary Fiber < 1g (4% DV), Sugars 30g, Protein 6g, Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 8%, Iron 8%.