Use this sugar and spice rub that caramelizes on the grill and creates a crackling, burnt sugar char and juicy, rare center.
Hands-on Time: 15 min. | Total Time: 2 hours, 10 min. | Serves: 6 to 8 | Difficulty: Easy
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. freshly cracked black pepper
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 2½ Tbsp. sugar
- 2-3 lb. top sirloin steak, about 1” thick
- Combine the rub ingredients in a small bowl.
- Rub one side of the steak with half the rub mixture. Allow to sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Spread the remaining rub on the other side of the steak. Allow to sit at room temperature for 30-45 minutes.
- While the steak is sitting, prepare the grill for high heat.
- When the steak is ready, place on grill. Five minutes on each side is rare, so depending on your preference, char each side to get a nice crisp crust then move to a more indirect side of the grill to prevent flare ups, letting the steak cook a total of 6 minutes per side (which would yield a red medium rare).
- Remove the steak from the grill (once the internal temp reaches 145°) and allow to sit for 10 minutes before slicing. Slice diagonally ¼” thick.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Per serving: Calories 570, Calories from Fat 290, Total Fat 32g (49% DV), Saturated Fat 13g (65% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 210mg (70% DV), Sodium 520mg (22% DV), Carbohydrates 6g (2% DV), Dietary Fiber 0g (0% DV), Sugars 5g, Protein 61g, Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 4%, Iron 20%.