Precooked chicken and frozen veggies are easy shortcuts that let you make a tasty homemade crust without too much time in the kitchen.
Hands-on Time: 25 min. | Total Time: 60 min. | Serves: 5 | Difficulty: Easy
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 6 Tbsp. cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1 lg. egg yolk
- 2-4 Tbsp. cold water
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 package (12-14 oz.) frozen pepper and onion blend
- 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese
- 1 can (7 oz.) diced green chiles or jalapeños, drained
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. melted butter
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- In the bowl of a food processor combine flour, cornmeal, salt and butter. Pulse until mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Add egg yolk and water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough comes together. Flatten in a disk and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add pepper and onion blend, cooking 8-10 minutes until thawed and liquid has evaporated. Add chicken, salt, cumin, garlic and pepper; stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium; add cream cheese, green chiles and broth. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cream cheese melts.
- Transfer chicken mixture to a 2 quart casserole dish.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out cornmeal dough to fit the casserole pan. Place on top and cut several slits to vent. Brush top with 2 tablespoons melted butter and sprinkle with ground cumin.
- Bake 25-28 minutes until crust is golden and filling is bubbling. Allow to stand 15 minutes before serving.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Wine Pairing: Pinot Grigio
Try making this with leftover Thanksgiving turkey instead of chicken.
Per serving: Calories 640, Calories from Fat 360, Total Fat 40g (62% DV), Saturated Fat 20g (100% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 195mg (65% DV), Sodium 980mg (41% DV), Carbohydrates 37g (12% DV), Dietary Fiber 3g (12% DV), Sugars 6g, Protein 33g, Vitamin A 40%, Vitamin C 80%, Calcium 8%, Iron 20%.