Welcome fall to your home with a kid-crafted sign to hang from the front door.
Things You'll Need:
- Maple leaves with stems
- Hot glue gun
- Googly eyes
- Foam core
- Additional sheet of foam core/construction paper
- Twine or ribbon
- Even getting ready for this craft is fun! Take the kids on a scavenger hunt. You could explore a park and make a day out of it, or just spend a little while in the backyard if you have brightly colored maples shedding their leaves. Each sign will require two leaves with their stems intact, forming the turkey’s two legs. Feel free to gather more leaves if you want to make an extra fluffy turkey tail.
- When you get back home or indoors, it’s time to begin making your sign. Colorful foam core is a great option on which to mount the leaf turkey (or you could use cardstock and a premade mat if you wanted to frame it later). Help the kids glue the leaves to the sign, one on top of another, giving the turkey its legs and as ornate a tail as desired. Remember to give the hot glue time to cool and set to avoid burns.
- Next, cut a 2-3” body out of the extra sheet of foam core or paper. Attach googly eyes and a beak near the top, and your little turkey is all finished!
- Finally, a hand-scrawled “welcome” across the top would complete the sign. Or perhaps your family name, the word “thankful” or something the little ones think up will suit it nicely.